Sunday, 12 February 2012

HOVERING BLACK HEADED GULLS





I became interested in the way that birds hover and stall. Using bread to bate a flock of Black-Headed Gulls I experiment at capturing shots as they stalled their flight above the bread and hovered stationary before dropping into the water to snatch it. What was interesting is that the birds always approached into the wind using the wind to help them stay in one place.

In order to achieve a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the motion I was using an f. number between 5.6 and 8 which on a 200mm lens does not give a lot of depth. This meant that I had to be incredibly accurate on focusing, no easy task when the subject is moving all the time.

Despite everything I tried when I got the images back I found that in all but a few I had focused on the wings of the Gulls giving the heads a very slightly soft feel.

Next time I am going to try and shoot at a higher f. number to give more depth and make focusing easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment